Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lewis & Clark State Park

Today our family went to the Lewis and Clark State Park to explore the
caverns. After a 45 minute drive we saw a sign that read "Caverns are
closed." "Look at the sign," my mom said. All of us took a deep sigh. "Are
we still going?" I asked. "We'll check it out," my dad answered. So,we
drove another 15 minutes and arrived at the State Park. We decided to check
out the park anyway, so started a hike up a trail. We thought we would head
to the mines instead, so hiked up and over the mountain until we came to a
tunnel - our destination.  My dad and I read a sign for mine and then
walked down a little path to the tunnel.  As we peeked inside we saw a
gate, the mine was LOCKED!!!!!! "Shoot," I said. We yelled out to everyone
and said "Guys, there's a fence." Jack & Grant responded, " NO WAY!"  At
this point we were an hour from our car.  As we started to hike back, we
got off trail, but we still knew the direction we had to go. So we hiked
through the brush, off trail, down to the bottom.  Jack, Grant, my dad and
I went one way to the bathroom as my mom went to get the car. As we got to
the bottom, we turned to see the trail sign that read "You Are Entering The
Home Of The Prairie Rattlesnakes" I asked my dad, "Did we just hike in
that?" "Yep," he said.  "Oh, wow," we all said.  Guess we should read up on
where we are hiking before we go next time.
-Hank

3 comments:

  1. Dear Hank--

    Very neat story. I'm not a big fan of snakes, especialy poisonous ones so I'm glad that you did not run into one. we went to Sugarloaf this weekend, and the snow was great on Monday, but on Sunday it was -8 degrees without the wind. We still skieed much of the day even though it was cold. I am playing indoor soccer on Mondays and we have a good team. I hope we see you soon.

    Luca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great adventure story Hank. Keep notes as this could be the start of a budding famous writer. Keep on the straight and narrow trail on future hikes :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hank........thank goodness I wasn't there. Snakes and ME? No thanks! You would have had to lead me down the trail because my eyes would have been shut tight in anticipation of seeing one. Guess the next time you get off trail, you might want to reach for the GPS? ha ha Keep on having the time of your life. Keep the good stories coming. Miss all of you

    ReplyDelete