Friday, May 11, 2012

Home Of The Ducks...quack quack










When we were heading home from the Nike tour and headquarters, Grant was on his phone and found out that Oregon was playing Oregon State in baseball. The locals call it "The Civil War Battle".  After discussing what to do, our final plan was to go to the baseball game,  stay a night in Eugene and then  go to the Oregon campus the next morning. Everyone agreed on the plan and we drove to the game. We hopped out of the car and walked over to the ticket office, "what a great night for baseball" I said. "Ya" they agreed. The sky was a perfect blue color and the sun was shining nice and bright. Grant and I ran ahead to grab a seat, we decided the best view was to lean along the third base fence. As we ran down the stairs, we noticed that the entire field was turf, even the infield was brown turf! Someone explained to us that the field was all turf because it rains so often and they wouldn't want to constantly cover the field with the tarp. I looked up at the score board the score was 3 to 0 Oregon. We stood and watched the innings fly by, the pitching was awesome. Before we knew it, it was the top of the 6th. Grant and we grabbed a frozen lemonade.  We stayed until the top of the 9th, when Oregon St had runners on first and second. My parents were ready to  leave because the pitcher kept attempting to pick off the runner. He must have spent 20 minutes throwing to first! The final score was 3-2 Ducks.    


The next morning we were looking at Oregon gear at the bookstore, I specifically was looking for Oregon green shorts because I have an air Jordan red t shirt and I got red Nike pants and those don't really go together. I have been saving money, so I didn't want to spend it all before Seattle.  I went over to the kids section and found a pair that worked great. Before leaving town, we decided check out the football stadium but we were not able to see the field at first.  We were about to leave, when my mom  asked a guy wearing an Oregon shirt "do you think that you could give us just a quick look at part of the field?" He said to hold on a sec and a minute later, he came back out and unlocked the giant gates to the stadium, we walked down the players tunnel and could see the entire Oregon Ducks Football Field!!!! The man talked to us for a little then I asked if I could run on the field, the guy answered right away, "go ahead" he said. Without hesitating, Grant chased me down the whole field pretending that we were Oregon stars  LaMichael James and Dave Wilcox into the end zone. My dad called us over to the 50 yard line where the big O was to get some pictures. After, when we were leaving I was running back and I could visualise over 60 thousand people cheering me on and hovering over me. It sure gave me a the feeling of on playing there when I'm in college. -Hank


      


3 comments:

  1. What an awesome experience for all of you. Your stories made us feel like we were there with you. You will have lots of stories to tell in the future and your writing (all of you) is very expressive. School must be going well. How many more days until you can relax and enjoy summer vacation?

    Who is that scruffy older man in all the pictures? Love all of you. xoxo Keep the notes coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see LaMichael James?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are thinking of becoming a Duck... but look around the Pac Ten till you find the ASU Sun Devils. You all look great but only one real Hollywood type in Sun Glasses. Jack, looks like you have grown 2 feet, well maybe a foot and a half w/out hair. He He...:-) Just a joke my friend. We are very happy you are all staying in touch with baseball and football! Very cool pics.

    ReplyDelete